Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Travis Orbin - Cyclamen Session (Part One)

www.myspace.com A short while ago, a gentleman named Hayato Imanishi contacted me to see if I'd be interested in playing on a few of his band's tunes. It was a no-brainer, this stuff is killer! I had less than two weeks to 'Orbinate' Hayato's programmed drums and rehearse so tracking would go as smoothly as possible. We corresponded through e-mail to ensure that my parts were congruent with his vision; Hayato pays as much mind to nuances as me, it seems! He requested for me to track the drums at my buddy Taylor Larson's studio. Taylor managed to achieve some of the best drum tones I've ever heard for prog/metal music. The first tune is "Never Ending Dream." Towards the middle, it features a lengthy section in which a tom-tom ostinato is crescendoed over a passage of more than twenty bars. It was quite hard to execute, and after I flub it the video re-enters with my playing of the last few bars. I'm whacking the crap out of the toms by then, haha. Full drum set transcription: s26.photobucket.com Tempo = 140 BPM myspace.com/taylorlarsonrecording myspace.com/travisorbin



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc-3BLsP83Q&hl=en

No comments:

Post a Comment