Friday, March 5, 2010

Scott Hamilton Ballad Essentials Jazz Music CD Review


Image : http://www.flickr.com


The exceptionally talented Jazz artist Scott Hamilton has released him CD entitled Ballad Essentials. I am very confident and happy to announce that I believe Scott Hamilton fans, and Jazz fans alike will be pleased with this one. With the release of Ballad Essentials Scott Hamilton's artistic excellence is on full display as Hamilton has once again delivered a brilliant collection of tracks that could very well be him best work to date.

This CD grabs your attention right from the start with Skylark and won't let go until the very last note of the very last song Tonight I Shall Sleep With A Smile On My Face, which is another great track by the way.

Scott Hamilton possesses the characteristic of being able to win you over with him talent alone. The kind of artist I frankly just flat out enjoy listening to.

I'm of the opinion that Ballad Essentials is certainly Scott Hamilton's best work in a few years. A totally enjoyable CD and an outstanding release. What I call must have music. I give it two thumbs up because it's a collection that even the casual Jazz fan can appreciate and enjoy.

While the entire CD is really very good the truly standout tunes are track 2 - Everything Happens To Me, track 5 - In A Sentimental Mood, and track 12 - Tonight I Shall Sleep With A Smile On My Face.

My Bonus Pick, and the one that got Sore [...as in "Stuck On REpeat"] is track 1 - Skylark. Outstanding!

Ballad Essentials Release Notes:

Scott Hamilton originally released Ballad Essentials on February 22, 2000 on the Concord Jazz label.

CD Track List Follows:

1. Skylark

2. Everything Happens To Me

3. My Foolish Heart

4. That's All

5. In A Sentimental Mood

6. I Should Care

7. Body And Soul

8. 'Round Midnight

9. My Romance

10. Stardust

11. I'll Be Around

12. Tonight I Shall Sleep With A Smile On My Face

Personnel includes: Scott Hamilton (tenor saxophone); Alan Broadbent (arranger, tenor saxophone); Spike Robinson, Ken Peplowski (tenor saxophone); John Bunch, Nat Pierce, Dave McKenna, Norman Simmons, Brian Lemon, Gerry Wiggins (piano); Chris Flory, Cal Collins, Howard Alden (guitar); Phil Flanigan, Monty Budwig, Bob Maize, Dave Stone, Dennis Irwin, Dave Green (bass); Chuck Riggs, Jake Hanna, Roy McCurdy, Jeff Hamilton, Allan Ganley, Connie Kay (drums).

No comments:

Post a Comment